Royal Caribbean have a number of ships sailing from Southampton this month including 2 interesting looking cruises to Scandinavia and Russia. Here are 10 facts about the Miami based cruise line…
- Royal Caribbean was founded in 1969 by 3 Norwegian shipping companies
- The first RC ship was named The Song of Norway. She was renamed 9 different times and was eventually sold for scrap in 2013, ending her days as Formosa Queen, a gambling ship.
- As of July 2018 the Royal Caribbean fleet includes 26 ships
- RC introduced the first Starbucks on a cruise ship enabling passengers to get a Vanilla Latte on the waves
- Royal Caribbean cruise ships sail to at least 270 destinations around the world
- About half of Royal Caribbean’s cruisers have sailed cruised before and 25% of those have already sailed on a RC cruise previously
- A film was made about George Smith, a passenger who mysteriously went missing from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship: MS Brilliance of the Seas.
- RC own 2 coastal resorts in the Caribbean for the exclusive use of its cruise ship passengers; in Labadee, Haiti and Coco Bay in the Bahamas
- The cash has been steadily rolling in over the years in with a 2017 profit for Royal Caribbean of over $3.5 billion
- Royal Caribbean currently own Symphony of the Seas which is the world’s biggest cruise ship – 5 times the size of The Titanic